How to Care for Your Jewelry
Here are our tried and true tips to care for your Jewelry by Amanda pieces
- Avoid contact with moisture, lotions, perfumes, chlorine, cleaning agents, and salts. These can encourage tarnishing and harm your pieces. We recommend removing your rings when washing your hands
- We do not recommend wearing your jewelry during sports, exercising, or sweat-triggering activities. We do not want your stones popping out from accidentally being yanked on during vigorous activities. Instead, keep your pieces in a safe place where they will be happiest until you are done
- Protect your jewelry using the provided bags you receive with you order. Air conditioning can tarnish sterling silver quite quickly, so please stow them away!
- We use 14k and 18k gold. It is common knowledge that pure gold can scratch, therefore we prefer to stick with 14k and 18k which are more durable and scratch resistant karats.
- Use a lint free polishing cloth to clean your vermeil pieces gently. Do not use abrasive brushes
My Sterling Silver pieces have turned black or green!
- Do not worry. This is completely natural and can be fixed. The reason your sterling silver jewelry has turned these colours is because it naturally oxidizes, which results in tarnishing.
Here is what we recommend for polishing your sterling silver pieces back to brand new:
White vinegar and baking soda: Use this gentle cleaner to remove heavy tarnish that's preventing you from polishing your silver. Soak the tarnished piece in a solution of 1/2 cup white vinegar and 2 tbsp. baking soda (be prepared for the fizzing!) for two to three hours, then rinse and dry.
Gemstone Care: do not submerge opals, turquoise, or pearls in water. They are very porous stones which can change the appearance of them